Hans Klis (1984) is a freelance journalist based in New York and works for various international (non-American) media. With a background in Chemistry and Biology he specializes in the following fields:
- Electric vehicles and connected cars: for London-based TU Automotive I have written several articles on innovation in this field.
- United Nations: as an accredited journalist at the UN I have reported on news for Dutch national daily nrc.next, webmagazine De Correspondent and for national radio stations WNL and BNN-VARA.
- Start-ups: New York calls itself Silicon Alley and for good reason. I’ve written about this upcoming superhub for Dutch magazine Vrij Nederland and Dutch national daily NRC Handelsblad.
- Conflict reporting: In 2012 I set up The Foreign Desk as an online resource for novice reporters abroad. As editor-in-chief I managed a staff of 60+ editors. I have written extensively on the subject of conflict reporting for NRC Handelsblad, De Nieuwe Reporter and given workshops and lectures for non-profit organisations like Free Press Unlimited and Lokaalmondiaal.
- Comic book and fan culture: I’ve been a big fan of comic books and science fiction since I was seven years old. For various outlets I cover new superhero movies and shows, LGBT rights and inequality and the cultural importance of comic books and graphic novels.
- MA Journalism & New Media (2011), Universiteit Leiden, The Netherlands (unfinished)
- MSC Chemistry (2009), Major Biological Chemistry / Minor: Communication Studies, Universiteit Leiden, The Netherlands
- BASc Biochemistry (2005), Hogeschool Rotterdam, The Netherlands